Every day is a challenge when you are building an online business. There is always something to do and never enough time to do it. I constantly questioned myself, and then finally I asked the right question. How do you know you will fail if you haven’t yet tried? Don’t let yourself become trapped in all the doubt and questioning. Believe that you can do it, and then do it! It’s not going to be immediate. In fact, it’s going to take. A. Long. Time. It’s going to be a lot of work. Here are the things I do daily to keep myself motivated and inspired to keep going and not give up on myself.
Podcasts for Inspiration and Motivation
I LOVE listening to podcasts. They are great when you are on the go. Obviously, if you are on the go it’s a tad hard to work your online business. Put your earbuds in, or if you are in the car, connect your phone to the speakers and just start them playing. The best thing about listening to Podcasts is the mental engagement. You are able to listen and then decipher how you can put into play what is being talked about. Getting new ideas and having the brain start really churning is such a rush. That rush provides immediate feedback to your fingertips and they are then motivated to start working! Below are my current top 3 Podcasts!
- Online Marketing Made Easy – Amy Porterfield: Her Podcast is based all around Online Marketing. However, she also has wonderful interviews with other people in the business and provides amazing insights into growing an online business, different business practices, and entrepreneurship. She used to work for Tony Robbins before she went into her own business, and she is so knowledgeable and easy to listen to! Another plus – she has so much free content on her website and attached to her Podcasts to help individuals to grow an online business.
- Smart Passive Income – Pat Flynn: Pat is also a self-made entrepreneur with tons of experience not only advising start-up companies but also in affiliate marketing and blogging. He shares great information and experience through his podcasts and throws a lot of humor in as well. Really fun to listen to and I get a lot of wonderful ideas.
- RISE Podcast – This is a Rachel Hollis’ podcast. I had previously listened to her book called “Girl, Wash Your Face”, and fell in love with the way she told a story. I found her extremely relatable and she brings you into her conversations effortlessly. It’s also helpful that she is providing great information at the same time and is an entrepreneur herself.
YouTube for Inspiration
You knew this was going to be here somewhere right? I absolutely adore YouTube. And you know what? I hardly ever actually watch the videos. What is the point, do you ask? I listen to them. If I am watching to figure something out that I’m working on for my website, I will definitely watch. If it’s for motivation, or to assist with marketing techniques? YouTube can be better than a Podcast sometimes. I’m subscribed to quite a few YouTubers now, whom I’ll list below, but sometimes I’ll narrow in on a specific topic and search for videos that seem appealing for whatever I’m interested in that day. If I’m going somewhere, I’ll download a few videos and then play them in the car to avoid using up my data plan on my cell phone.
Disclaimer: Remember, I just listen…I don’t actually watch a video in the car.
YouTube Channels I’ve Enjoyed: Motivational, Inspirational, and Educational
- Hayley Paige Johnson: Listening to her videos on YouTube is what started my mental mindset shift to wanting to be an entrepreneur in the first place. She does normal daily type vlogs, but then she’ll also post videos about her online business. She specifically has vlogs based around mindset as well as talking about her personal experiences and tips to how she does it. Plus, she’s just fun to watch. Having fun and being able to smile while learning something is a delightful motivator!
- Doug Does Digital: This is the channel by Hayley’s husband. They are both in online business. He doesn’t currently have a lot of videos and hasn’t posted anything in a while. However, he still makes the list as he can provide very helpful information into SEO. What it is, how to be better at it, and how he’s used it in his businesses. He was the first one to explain the thing that is SEO to me, and as such, has a place as one of my YouTubers that provides wonderful motivation.
- Gillian Perkins: These videos are based all around mindset, entrepreneurship, online marketing, affiliate marketing, and online course creation. There are more types of content on her channel, but this would be the basics. She is great at explaining a concept she is trying to portray, and Gillian has a very open personality. She shares all about how she’s been successful, and what it takes for someone to do the same. Hearing of someone else’s success is such a motivation in and of itself.
- Start a Mom Blog: Hands down one of my favorites. I’ve taken a few courses of hers in order to learn more about how to build a better blog and the ins and outs of marketing. She provides so many helpful tips, almost all of which are free, and ways of doing things that make me excited to try them on my next post. This is exactly the kind of “pep-talk” I need to keep myself energized and invigorated no matter the long hours.
Constantly Learn to Stimulate the Mind and Imagination
If building an online business was easy everyone would be doing it. Everyone would be a success. It’s certainly not easy. But boy is it fun! I’ve been having a blast using my creative side for my business. Surprisingly, it’s extremely gratifying to home in on my creativity and just let it explode.
The thing I did before starting my blog was research. If you’ve read any of my other posts such as How to Build an Online Business, you’ll know that I obsessively research. I really enjoy it. One thing I’ve come to appreciate even more in this process is that knowledge is power.
The more you learn and put into practice that knowledge, the more you grow as an entrepreneur and, more importantly, as an individual.
Learning new things is extremely motivational to me in that you can’t wait to try what you just learned and put it into play! There is also such a sense of accomplishment when you’ve learned something new that it makes you want to keep going and doing it again and again.
There are so many tools out there, free and paid, that will teach so much for any business you’d like to create or improve upon. I’ve paid for training and I’ve searched for the free options as well. To be honest, the paid ones were so much better and more detailed, but if you can’t pay for a training course, there ARE free ones out there. Best of all, as they are online you can take them at your own pace and whenever you want!
- Teachable: This is a great website that hosts many many different courses on anything that you may want to learn. Want to know how to cook? They’ve got you covered. Do you want to know how to create a website and make it look snazzy? Yep, they’ve got that too. Depending on who you take the training with, it could even be free.
- Udemy: Very similar to Teachable. I’ve not used this personally, but I have seen it advertised and some of the YouTubers I’ve watched have used it for creating their content as well as using it for learning new material.
- YouTube: Once again, YouTube to the rescue. I’ve looked many a video up just to figure out how to move something around on my website in the beginning or how to use certain software that I was just learning. Don’t discount the power of The YouTube!
- Google: Yes, I know. This is a given. If you have a question, Google will know how to answer it for you. I have a long history and love affair with Google.
Audio Books to Increase Your Mental Energy
I love reading. This probably goes without saying since I’ve just spewed out my love of researching and learning, right? There’s a caveat to this. I only like the physical act of reading when it’s something fun. Like Fiction. Paranormal, action, romance or even comedy. Self-help, parenting, or business? Not so much. However, I have found that if I have an audio version of the book, then I REALLY enjoy it and get a lot out of it.
The 2 most motivational books for me so far are linked below. Also, if you’d rather not buy the books, I’ve found all of them on the OverDrive app through my library to borrow. There is usually a wait when I’ve searched for them, but it’s a great option to get access to the content!
- The ONE Thing: Gary Keller and Jay Papasan –
This is a great book that helps you focus in on your “one” thing. What is that one thing in life that you really want to achieve? When you’ve decided this, focus intently on how you can accomplish it.
- Start With Why: Simon Sinek –
While this is not necessarily geared to entrepreneurship, it definitely lends a hand in accessing your “why”. Once you know the why, you can then focus on the ways you can be successful. It can get a bit repetitive, but the message is an important one.
Inspirational Quotes for Motivation on Days with Doubt and Fear
Quotes are something I’ve always thoroughly enjoyed. During the times when I’ve doubted and thought “I can’t do this anymore”, there is nothing more uplifting and inspirational than looking at some quotes. Some can give a laugh, and some can just downright motivate.
Below are 10 motivational quotes I love.
- Don’t worry about the world coming to an end today. It is already tomorrow in Australia. Charles M Schultz
- The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing. Walt Disney
- You must expect great things of yourself before you can do them. Michael Jordan
- Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me. Carol Burnett
- You’re only given a little spark of madness. You mustn’t lose it. Robin Williams
- Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities! Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers, you cannot be successful or happy. Norman Vincent Peale
- The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential … These are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence. Confucius
- Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. Thomas A. Edison
- The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be. Ralph Waldo Emerson
- All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them. Walt Disney
When starting a business of any kind, it takes a lot of courage, a lot of work, and so much faith. Please use the ideas I’ve provided above to never lose your enthusiasm. When you lose your enthusiasm or faith, you’ll lose a piece of the heart you were so diligently putting into your business.
Do you have specific rituals or methods of keeping your motivation ramped up? I’d love it if you’d comment below or send me an email with what you do!